From private hands to public lands -- 1972-1980
This chronology reflects current
information. Research is ongoing.
Property was purchased by Larwin Multihousing Corporation (81.6 acres). Plans to build 884 garden type apartments were stalled due to zoning restrictions. Some foundations for 850 townhouses were built in the field behind the Manor House.
City of Philadelphia purchases 30.5 acres located in Philadelphia for $950,000. These are the front fields between Pine Road and the white farmhouse.
The 81.6 acres is purchased for public land. Following is a breakdown of the purchase:
- $ 500,000 Federal money for entire tract
- 750,000 Federal contingency money
- 1,950,000 City of Philadelphia (50 acres)
- 7,000 Abington Township (21.6 acres)
- 70,000 Montgomery County (10 Acres)
Click on a link below to find out more about the dates indicated.