The Manor House gets a new look -- 1901-1917
This chronology reflects current
information. Research is ongoing.
Property (102 plus acres) purchased by Friends Asylum for the Insane who used the site for agricultural purposes and for the treatment of women patients. They kept the farm in tip-top shape. All the latest farming methods were used. Each cow even had a supply of fresh water. Milk production at the time was well above average. During this time, the Manor House was renovated and dormers were added. The attached well house was probably used for cooling milk.
George H. Lorimer, editor of The Saturday Evening Post and Chairman of Curtis Publishing Company bought the property. Lorimer also founded Lorimer Park in Abington Township with some of his holdings. At this time the farm was used as a gentleman's farm and maintained by a farm manager, Mr. Harry Larr and his family. They lived in the current farmer's house. The Manor House was furnished and maintained even though the Lorimers did not live there, with a library in the right front room and a formal dining room in the left front room.
Click on a link below to find out more about the dates indicated.