The Wistar Years -- 1821-1863
This chronology reflects current
information. Research is ongoing.
Thomas Wistar, of the prominent Quaker family, purchased 100 plus acres from the estate of the McVeagh family and built a large, central-entrance stone mansion known as "Stanley" for his son Thomas Wistar Jr. and his bride Elizabeth Buckley Morris. This building is now known as "The Manor House". Thomas Wistar Jr. built a second house for his son Thomas III and his wife Priscilla, ca. 1849. This is the present white farmhouse. One beam of this house is clearly earlier than 1849, so it is likely that there was some structure there, and what we see is something newly built and expended ca.1840s. The large Penn bank barn (Hay Barn which burned in 1997) pre-existed 1821. The Old Sheep barn was built ca. 1832.
Thomas Wistar Jr. was active in politics. During the administration of President Grant, he was involved in Indian affairs. He spent a lot of time out west (trying to get fair treatment for the Indians after the Civil War), and Thomas Wistar III worked the farm. He established the property as a working, self-supporting farm. When Thomas III died prematurely in1863, his farm implements and fixtures were sold at auction. After the death of his son, Thomas Wistar Jr. lived out his life at "Stanley".
Click on a link below to find out more about the dates indicated.