A Homestead is Established -- 1683-1692
This chronology reflects current
information. Research is ongoing.
The land, 500 acres, was sold by William Penn to William Stanley, of London. He named the site"Mount Stanley".
Stanley died in debt and his property was purchased by Peter Baynton, a friend in Philadelphia.
Peter Baynton divided the parcel into two 250 acre tracts on each side of the Pennypack Creek. He sold the land south of the creek to Edward McVeagh/McVaugh, a farmer and carpenter for Thomas Holmes, the surveyor for William Penn. The McVeagh family retained ownership of the property for over 100 years and established a homestead in the area of the present farm buildings.
Click on a link below to find out more about the dates indicated.